Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Wild Art Hunting



So today was one of those days. I had ZERO assignments. That translates to GO FIND SOMETHING to shoot. These days are my favorites. I mean that in the most respectable manner.

I first went to a play for kids at the Nadine Baum Studio in Fayetteville. I ended up getting this shot of a kid playing in a cardboard box out in the lobby before the play.

Next, I went to square in Fayetteville where I heard they were doing some sidewalk work. As I'm shooting this guy comes up and starts talking to me and telling me all about the project. He walks me around the square pointing out various pieces and how important the improvements are. Afterwards, I ask for his name so I can attribute these facts in a cutline. He happily gives me his name of Dan Coody. I don't think much about it as I have no idea who Dan Coody is. The gentleman with him, however, is amused that I asked for his name. And following his laughter, he tells me that Mr. Coody is the mayor of Fayetteville. DOH! Yeah, I guess I should have known that. Hey, I'm still new here. But long story longer, the guy is actually pretty cool. He even tells me that we need to go out together to the Buffalo River sometime.

4 comments:

Mark Buffalo said...

Jason, Nice shots, especially the kid in the box? did you all run it in the NWA edition? I live near LR.

I enjoy your work in the paper and on sportsshooter.com. I hope we can meet sometime maybe during the all-star week in Fayetteville in June.

Mark
www.markbuffalo.blogspot.com

ivester said...

Thanks, Mark. I really appreciate the compliment!

Yeah, both of these ran in today's NWA section.

What is the all-star week?

Mark Buffalo said...

The pic of the kid ran in the LR edition. All Star week is for high school seniors at the UofA. The sports are baseball, soccer, softball, volleyball, basketball and football. It is a pretty big deal.

mark

Marc F. Henning said...

the Coody story cracked me up. i've had nothing but pleasant experiences dealing with Coody while on assignment. too bad he's not running for re-election.